How to ensure your trip to the airport goes smoothly

Stay prepared
Times - Double, triple, quadruple check your flight departure times. I flew out today from Jax to Washington DC, last night I triple checked my departing flight from Jacksonville and boy am I glad I did! I got it wrong by 30 minutes. That could make the difference between catching and missing your flight. Times are easily forgotten and mistaken in your head, so make sure you check check check.
Gates - connecting flights can mean a whole lot of walking. If you're entering a country for the first time you may have to pick up your luggage and re-check it. You will also have to go through immigration. This may take a little while. So when booking your flights try to make sure you have at least 1 hour 30 minutes to find your new gate and take it easy. It can be a 10 minute or more walk plus an inside shuttle journey, so you need to make sure you are organised and know where you're going.
Terminals - If you type in your departing airport online and enter your flight or airline you will be given the terminal to arrive at.This is important because they can be a 20 minute plus drive away.

Stay comfy
Wear clothes that you don't mind sitting in for hours. Personally, I wear leggings because they're light and non restricting. It can get hot on the plane but it can get cold in an airport. That's why I'd advise a light t-shirt and a hoody or jacket. Remember that if you're not going to wear it, you'll have to stow it or carry it so don't pick something too big or heavy.
Shoes - take into consideration where you are landing (outside climate) I'd advise something comfy that you won't have trouble walking and standing in for a long time.

Stay organised
Passport/ Tickets/ Purse/ Money/ Hotel details/ Holiday details/ Medical letters/ Insurance
There are a lot of important and personal things with your private details on that you will need with you on your journey, these are not things you want to be losing. That's why I'd advise you to get a travel organiser, I used to travel with my papers just floating in my bag, it would be stressful at times when I couldn't find them. Using my organiser and putting all my papers in order made it easily accessible and means I'm not going to lose something on my travels.

Stay alert and aware
~Keep eyes on belongings at all times
~Keep bags zipped, locked, closed
~Don't put things down that you may leave and forget
~Regular checks on belongings
~Keep it simple and keep count
Unfortunately, there are bad people out there who look at you as a target and would love to get their hands on your personal belongings. Being aware of other people and your bags at all times will prevent anything being lost or stolen. Keep your hands on your bags or tuck them under your chair when you're in the airport. Regularly look back if you're carrying things that may fall from your bag without you knowing, I've seen so many people in airports drop things while they're walking and be clueless to it happening. Keep it zipped and closed.

Stay hydrated
Drink water - If you're on a long flight you will be offered multiple drinks. (For free!)
Staying hydrated is important on any day but travelling can really drain you so I'd advise you to have regular drinks of water, there are shops, restaurants inside the airport or you can ask a flight attendant on any airplane. 

Comments

Popular Posts