Career step up - Trainee to Junior Makeup Artist in TV

In 2014 I landed my first job in TV, coincidentally and through people I knew. (Surprise, surprise)  I turned up and immediately felt like a goldfish dropped into the middle of the ocean but I thrived on it. I was eager to learn and happy to help, which is exactly the type of attitude you need to get you noticed as a hard worker. I learned a lot from my first job in TV, a lot of valuable lessons I was taught through making a mistake the first time. A key point I learned that I think it will benefit others to pass on is, ask every question you have and don't be afraid, because you're there to learn and your HOD (Head of Department) and supervisors know that. But once they've told you once, don't make the mistake to the question you asked. Be responsive, open your ears and listen to everything people say, pick up on what everyone around you is saying even if they are not in your department, it could be crucial information that you might miss. 

From my first job in TV I went on to do more TV jobs as a trainee and absorbed all the knowledge I could from each one. I admittedly got quite lucky because my first few key jobs were through people I knew but it wasn't like I'd known them my whole life, I just started moving in circles with people who were moving in their circles... Just because you don't have a rich uncle that works in TV as a directer doesn't mean you can't find a way in. Collab, collab and collab with students, professionals, new production companies, anyone heading for the limelight, because that's where you'll run into people who can help you out, or should I say in. 

Once you're in and learning the ropes as a trainee you'll be put to work to get the most out of you and see how far you can really be pushed. To see if you're cut out for the industry or if you give up the first time you cry. (I cried a lot) Chances are if this is a career you want with your whole being and you're committed to climbing the ladder you'll be okay. Just hang on in there on the hard days, because you will have them and they won't be pleasant. You may just be told to get out of the way by the Director and that will make you want to fall into a hole... **it happens. 

Once you've proved yourself to be worthy of your department you'll be invited in to work as a Junior. This is usually an assistant to the full time professionals in your department, in my case the makeup artists themselves. No longer will your job be mainly to make the tea, tidy up and take care of all the byproducts of your department. This is your chance to prove how good you really are and how right they are to take a chance on you. You're almost there. I'm not sure how long you have to work as a Junior before you take the step up to a makeup artist but my first Junior position was towards the end of 2016 and I'm now doing my third one towards the end of 2017.  I am happy to say I am thoroughly enjoying the process of assisting and really being a working part of the makeup department and I'm still more than happy to fulfil all my trainee roles that I feel prepared me to have my own station now. 

If you feel like you have any questions for me feel free to write them below and I wish you well in the career of you dreams! 

Comments

Popular Posts