Advice on getting your foot in the TV and Film industry door

I got inspired to write this blog after writing my last one on a brief description of my journey so far and how I went from a Trainee makeup artist to a Junior makeup artist. First of all, we are very lucky because we have this beautiful world of knowledge at our fingertips and so many people are willing to share their advice and experience for us to learn from and use in our own search on where to go and how to get there. I myself have read countless blogs, probably watched all the videos and collected all the books! If you love your industry and want a healthy, successful and long career in it then immerse yourself into the corners of the internet and find out what you can do to help yourself get into the job you want to do.

There are also groups you can join on social media, search your local film groups, local production companies, ask for work experience. Shoot them an email with a clean CV and a professional cover letter stating your passion for the industry and how you're willing to come in for free to learn. Oh and don't expect to be paid, I'm sure you're not but if you are, you're definitely barking up the wrong tree. you've got to show your commitment, build your experience, build your contacts, build your portfolio and start studying your chosen career. Read up on how the people who do the job you dream of do it, how they started and follow in their footsteps.

I will mention various websites that you can use to find your first jobs and mainly get in touch with people who want to collaborate on projects that you can all use to add to your portfolios. I started with www.modelmayhem.com you also have www.purpleport.com these two are great for makeup, photography, video, fashion and modelling.

You also have websites like www.productionbase.com and  www.mandy.com where you can pay to apply for paid work but also just use the opportunities board to meet people who are making student films and low budget projects. This is how I started and virtually met everyone I know who led me to more work higher up.

Here are some helpful websites ↓
BECTU
Creative Media Skills
www.careerinmakeup.com
National Careers Service
www.creativeengland.co.uk
Search for blogs by people who actually work in the industry in your chosen department and find out what they're doing and how they're doing it. Build your kit and start training yourself. IMDB is great for searching who was in your chosen department for some of your favourite films and I'm always using it after I watch something I really love to find out who worked on it and what else they've done. If you can find them on social media to follow that's just a bonus!

If you have any questions or comments, leave them below and I'll get back to you. Good luck with your search! 

Comments

Popular Posts